Depending on the recipe the whole process can be difficult and time consuming. Some recipes may need high precision when it comes to ingredients or any other step in the process. If one step was not down good enough, the quality of the potions may suffer. This leads to side effects like bad alcohol and other toxics.
This new difficulty for brewing the good stuff makes only sense. If you are not aware of the exact recipes for some of the drinks you may end up with weaker brews. This makes high quality potions worth much more and an experimentation and perfecting of the Brewing Process would be beneficial.
Depending on the recipe, some steps may not be needed. The following instruction describe the common procedure of brewing.
Step one consists of fermenting the fresh ingredients.
- Place cauldron over a fire or other heat source
- Fill it with water
- Add Ingredients with a right-click
- Wait a few minutes while they ferment
- Fill in glass bottles
Use a clock on a cauldron if you want to know the time the ingredients have been fermenting.
Some recipes don't need distilling.
- Put the bottle with ferment into the brewing stand
- Put glowstone dust as filter on top into the brewing stand (The filter will not be consumed)
A barrel is needed for aging. (See barrel section below)
- Open the barrel by clicking on it.
- Put the bottles into the barrels for aging.
Depending on the Recipe, the type of wood used for building the barrel may alter the quality of the aged Brew. The small minecraft barrel is always of wood type oak.
The minecraft-barrel can be used for aging of a few brews. Simply craft and place the barrel und put the brews inside.
Use 8 wooden stairs to build a barrel shape. Place a sign on the lower right side and write "Barrel" in the upper Line:
Use 5 fences, 16 wooden stairs, and 18 wood planks to build a barrel shape. Attach a spigot (fence) and a sign that has "Barrel" written on the first Line:
You may remove the sign from the large barrel after creating it.
The amount of alcohol inside the brew will be applied to you when drinking. Depending on the quality of it, this may have different effects.
- You may not be able to walk normally anymore, you will weave, making it almost impossible to walk straight
- Effects like Blindness, Confusion, Poison etc. may occur
- The chat will be altered depending on drunkeness, many things you write may be incomprehensible, sometimes it seems senseless
- If the alcohol is particularly strong, it may have poisonous effects
- After drinking a lot, there is a chance of vomiting
- When logging off, you may have difficulties reaching your character, thus some loggins shortly after may be denied
- After overdrinking you may faint (Disconnecting)
Sealing (To Sell in Chest Shops)
You can just give your created brews to other players and they might even put them back into a Barrel to keep ageing them. But Chest Shops require sold items to be exactly equal and this is where sealing comes in. Imagine it like putting a seal on the bottle.
- To sell brews using Chest Shop, you will need to seal them using the Brew Sealing Table.
- It is crafted with 2 Bottles over 4 Planks
- Putting a brew into the sealing table will equalise it, making it equal to other brews that have been brewed similarly.
- Sealed brews cannot be aged or modified any further and they don't show their details anymore
After drinking it takes a while until the alcohol is completely gone. During that time the alcohol level is steadily decreasing. It can also be decreased by consuming bread and milk.
- When logging off extremely drunk, it may happen that, if you log back in after a while, you may find yourself at a completely unknown place in the middle of nowhere having no idea how you got there.
- But if you log back in after several hours or next morning, you will find yourself at /home, again without any memories.
- Also if the alcohol was not the best quality, you may face some type of bad hangover (slowness and hunger).